Welcome ... uhm operator guy it's the war gibberish.

Early in the morning of   mar. 1969,   I left my girlfriend and parents at the Daegu city and I was on my way to a distant land called South Vietnam.   As a young soldier in the ROK Army, I was directed to this country to aid in their freedom form Communism and aggression from other countries.

As the plane departed from the apron, I saw my mother and family watching from the large window as the plane taxied toward the runway. I wondered if I would ever see them again. Was my country right in this vietnam war? or was it just another political move by some politicians making a name for themselves?

The plane finally lifted into the air and I saw the bright lights from the city of Daegu, This was my home, my family and my friends that I was leaving. A very scared 22 year old boy, alone on a plane that was taking me to some distant place where soldiers were dying every day. Was I going to be one of them? It was the begining of the war, not many soldiers were there mostly so called technical advisors and such. So the news media were really not involved with what was going on back then so you really did not know what to expect.

I was going to Ohm Ri Military Traing Center at Kangwon Province where I would catch another flight that would take me to the city of Saigon, the Capital of South Vietnam. Upon catching my flight, I was seated next to a vietnam young officer. He was from a little town outside Saigon and had been to a school here in the states. Our flight was over 11 hours and I believe that I talked to him every minute that we were in the air. He told me how the communists were killing people and trying to take over the country. By the time I got to Saigon I knew a little more of why our country was trying to stop the aggression from the north. I did not understand the freedom we have back home until then. I was in for a real learning experience of what freedom means and how our country's veterans faught to defend these freedoms in past wars. Now I fully understand and am proud serve my country in defending these freedoms.

Arrival to South Vietnam

What a wake-up call that was ! When we landed at Saigon the temperature was about 140 degrees. I was quickly processed through customs and than transported to a holding area where all the Military solder's stayed until they were shipped to their final destination. It was a small military outpost just outside the city. I was not able to see much of Saigon while I was there and, frankly, I did not want to leave the area . Just because I was at a military outpost did not mean that I was not still scared . I did, however, venture downtown with some fellow soldiers and cic.  On the third day, I was notified that I would be leaving Saigon and was going to Tuy Hoa to join my new unit and my home for the next 12 months.

"Cam Rahn bay,Located on the east coast of Vietnam, on the South China Sea about 100 miles northeast of Saigon- a naval shipping and supply depot, USA Air Force Base, and Hospital."

When I arrived at 28Reg, White Horse. I was greeted by my new First Sergeant and Commander and taken to the in processing center where I was debriefed on the area and the do's and dont's. There I met my Supervisor who than took me to the CIC secret information and introduced me to my new family( information personnel). I wondered why he called them family, but it did not take me long to find out what he meant. Everyone there was family; you took care of each other. The com.sect. 1 chief only had 3 months left and I was his replacement. I had the next 3 days off to get adjusted to the area. My home was a TENT with 5 other guys. It was over 120 degrees outside and I was going to live in a tent;

We were on a 16 hour shift, 5 days a week. I was assigned the night shift. Our mission was to report information to the commander in the field_top.

I mentioned earlier about meeting my new family. Well, it did not take me long to understand what the old meant. Everyone there was family; we worked, played, prayed, and even cried together. You knew everyone and everyone knew you. When you work under the conditions we were in, you got to become real close to one another.

Being the new guy on the block, I thought I was pretty lucky to get the night shift, having to work in the cool evening hours was not as bad as working in the heat of the day. WRONG! Try sleeping in the middle of the day in a tent with temperature of 150 + degrees.

The new guy starts at the bottom the days turned into months, my time in country was coming to a close. It was a good feeling when you got down to counting the days when you were going to leave and return to your home and family.

As time was getting closer each passing day, you thought more of home than you did the war. Guess the last couple of weeks were the hardest. You felt happy that you were headed for home but you were also leaving your family behind. The men you worked beside for the past year became very close to you; they were also now your family and now you were leaving them behind. The last week spent in country was party time. Everyone had to have a going away party; this is where you said your departing words to your friends, shared memories and collected all those addresses, promising to keep in touch, but after all these years we just lost contact.

The war is over for us, but there are still fellow brothers that were left behind. Our country leaders have not responded to our concerns about the human relations that have not been sent home. Where are they? Why don't our leaders answer our pleas to help find them? Keep them in your prayers and remind your political leaders that we must know about the Human Relations.

Even after 3 years of military service behind me and I worked 2 years 8 Army, 3 years at USFK.   It is very rewarding to watch the young grow in knowledge and experience that is required with today's social systems.

For all those young innocent people who died for their beloved country, may we  remember war always.  My work team,see 2nd oprator.(please caontact me)